Unite Policies and Guidelines
FUNDS FOR THE RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES
APF (appropriated fund) dollars are designated to pay for or offset the cost of cohesive recreational programs and services. Funds are allocated on a calendar year. As a trial period through CY 2024, Squadron Commanders can authorize spouses and dependents to receive the allocated per person amount. The dollar figures will continue to be based on unit official manpower totals and will not increase with the inclusion of dependents.
NOTE: APF dollars are intended to fund the actual team-building event (only).
FUNDS FOR FOOD AND BEVERAGE (NON-APPROPRIATED FUNDS)
NAF (non-appropriated Fund) dollars are used for the purchase of food and beverages in support of Unite recreational cohesive programs. Funds are allocated on a calendar year. The Unite program is activity-based, and NAF dollars are only an added benefit. NAF funds must be directly in conjunction with an approved Unite event. Unite is not a food and beverage-based program; an event centered on just eating without an approved Unite cohesive and or team building event is NOT authorized and will not be approved. NAF funds are also approved as a trial period for dependents through CY 2024. Squadron Commanders can authorize spouses and dependents to receive the allocated amount per person. The dollar figures will continue to be based on unit official manpower totals and will not increase with the inclusion of dependents.
UNAUTHORIZED USE OF UNITE FUNDS
- Unite funds are not to be used for the following: December holiday parties, end of year events, balls, banquets, dining/out, combat dining in/out, squadron training/meetings, change of commands, eating events, promotion/retirements, or base-wide special events. (December holiday, Christmas, Hanukkah, End of Year celebrations are typically subsidized by squadron booster club funding.)
- Unite funds cannot be used to purchase alcoholic beverages.
- Unite funds cannot be used to purchase equipment, including electronics. However, funds are authorized to rent recreational equipment in support of a unit cohesive event. Unauthorized rentals include but are not limited to portable toilets, trash services, cleaning fees, cleaning supplies or cleaning companies, lodging, or transportation, movie screens, and movies. Contact AFSVC if the cost of renting equipment exceeds the cost of procuring the equipment.
- Unite funds are not authorized to purchase items for volunteer events, such as gloves, tools, paint, or supplies.
- Unite funds cannot be used to purchase cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, gloves, masks, face shields, thermometers, or medical equipment as these are considered Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Food service gloves are authorized.
- Unite funds cannot be used to cover the cost of damages, late fees, or insurance.
- Unite funds cannot be used to purchase prizes, gift cards, giveaways, or promotional items (examples: trophies, medals, plaques, banners, marketing/advertisements, apparel, cups, personalization of objects, murals, shirts, hats, and jerseys).
- Unite funds cannot be used to purchase equipment to donate to charities (examples: Build-A-Bed and Build-A-Bike).
- Unite funds cannot be used for gambling or to purchase gambling products, including traditional bingo games, where funds are accumulated and paid to a winner. Such an arrangement is a prohibited practice that conveys a personal benefit to a winner.
- Decorations for Unite events should not exceed more than 10% of the event’s total cost. (Example: squadron team building event cost $1000, then the cost of decorations should not exceed $100).
- AFSVC will not provide reimbursement to events that have not been approved. If a squadron executes an event without approval, all expenses will be the responsibility of the squadron.
- Commanders should make every effort to ensure all authorized members of a unit have an opportunity to participate in Unite events; inclusive to all Airmen and Guardians in a unit and cannot be divided based on age, race, gender, or religion. A Unite event cannot be held for dependents only or have a family-oriented focus. Wing or Group events may be held with written acknowledgment of each participating Unit Commander agrees to the use of his/her funding.
- TRANSPORTATION: Unite funds are not authorized to pay for rental vehicles; HOWEVER, utilizing ITT/ODR vehicles with driver is approved for authorized Unite activities.
Community Cohesion Coordinator